Our mission is to provide street children and vulnerable youth with a home, hope, and opportunities. We reconnect families to create stronger Rwandan communities
About the Rwandan Orphans Project
The Rwandan Orphans Project provides support to more than 250 vulnerable children and young people.
Our goals are to:
- meet the basic needs of vulnerable children and young people in Rwanda (food, shelter, clothing, education, healthcare)
- create a safe, nurturing environment where they can thrive (through schooling, extra-curricular activities, counselling, learning life-skills)
- trace families and reunite them, where possible, and encourage our children to be active citizens
- see our children grow to be healthy, happy adults who are self-supporting and free from the cycle of poverty
The ROP is a residential home for children who were previously homeless, or living in bad conditions. We offer full care and support to these children while we try to trace their families. We also support an additional 50 children to live within their families, by paying for tuition, school supplies and transportation costs, and sometimes other help, depending on the individual need. The ROP also provides free schooling to an additional 120 boys and girls from poor families in our local community
At the ROP we believe that every child has potential, regardless of their past. We provide their basic needs of food, shelter and security and give them an environment where they can laugh, play, make friends and most important of all, attend school. Upon arrival at the center, each young boy receives a new set of clothes, shoes and a medical checkup. Soon after he feels comfortable in his new home, we conduct an assessment interview to find out all we can about him - where he is from, if he has any living relatives, any health problems and how much schooling, if any, he has completed. This ensures that we can place him in the appropriate level in our school and that we can get him started on any medical treatment that may be required.
The following are key values that the ROP holds:
- Respect: We assert the dignity and value of our children, communities, staff, donors, and partners.
- Integrity: We encourage an atmosphere of honesty and responsibility for the actions of our children, partners, and staff.
- Compassion: We believe in the value of kindness to transform attitudes and behaviors.
- Potential: We affirm the worth of intellectual curiosity and imaginative outlets for our children and staff.
Where are we?
The ROP Center is located approximately one hour's drive from Kigali on the road that leads to Akagera National Park in Rwanda's Eastern Province. We are just a few meters from the main road which means we are very easy to find .